MaineWideWeb.Com :: Attractions :: Light Houses :: Perkins Island Light

MaineWideWeb.Com :: Attractions :: Light Houses :: Perkins Island Light

In 1898 this 23-foot octagonal wooden tower was erected on seven-acre Perkins Island on the eastern side of the Kennebec River. A two-story keeper's house was built at the same time; the station is similar to the Doubling Point and Squirrel Point lights. The boathouse, bell tower and oil house were added in the early 1900s. The lighthouse originally had a fifth-order Fresnel lens. Following automation in 1959, this lens was removed and a 250mm optic added; the fog bell also was removed. The property was turned over to the town of Georgetown in 1973 but little has been done to improve or maintain the grounds; the keeper's house and outbuildings are owned by the State of Maine and are in disrepair. The light may be seen accross the river from the village of Parker Head. Cruises from Main Maritime Museum and Boothbay Harbor also pass the light. The tower only is managed by the American Lighthouse Foundation. Directions: From US Route 1, take High Street/Route 209 to Phippsburg. Trun...
Прочети цялата публикация
Коментари

Tози сайт използва "Бисквитки". Научи повече Приемам

Моля, запознайте се с нашите Общи условия и Политика за поверителност