MaineWideWeb.Com :: Attractions :: Light Houses ::West Quoddy Light

MaineWideWeb.Com :: Attractions :: Light Houses ::West Quoddy Light

Located on the easternmost point in the continental United States, the red and white striped lighthouse marks the southwest entrance to Quoddy Channel. In 1806 a group of concerned citizens chose West Quoddy Head as a suitable place for a lighthouse to aid mariners coming into the west entrance to Quoddy Roads between the mainland and Campobello Island. The first rubblestone lighthouse was built there two years later by order of Thomas Jefferson. West Quoddy Head light received one of the nation's first fog bells in 1820. The keeper was required to strike the bell by hand in foggy weather, a frequent occurrence in the nearby Bay of Fundy. For his trouble, Congress in 1827 alotted the keeper an additional $60 annually. The lighthouse may have been rebuilt in 1853, but was not long standing; the present 49-foot brick tower was erected in 1858 and a third-order Fresnel lens was installed. a 1-1/2 story Victorian keeper's house was built in that same year; in 1869 a trumpet fog whistle...
Прочети цялата публикация
Коментари

Tози сайт използва "Бисквитки". Научи повече Приемам

Моля, запознайте се с нашите Общи условия и Политика за поверителност